Diploma in Translation & Interpretation
Professionals who want to stay plugged in to China’s rapid economic growth, would inevitably have to sharpen their translation and interpreting skills to better engage their Chinese business partners.
The Diploma in Translation and Interpretation Skills programme is designed for professionals who aspire to increase their versatility to effectively communicate in both English and Chinese to fulfil their business goals.
With more than 1,000 graduates to date!
- DTS01 - Introduction to Linguistics
- Introduces the origins, developments, varieties, structures and functions of language before embarking on the Chinese phonetics, vocabulary, grammar and rhetoric systematically. The module gives participants a good foundation on the overview of language systems, especially on the uniqueness of the Chinese language and its applications, so as to further enhance the accuracy of translation work.
- DTS02 - Comparative English & Chinese Linguistics
- A systematic comparison between English and Chinese languages from both the macro and micro perspectives. A more thorough understanding would lead to a more accurate translation, with the style of the original text being preserved.
- DTS03 - English-Chinese and Chinese-English Translation Theory and Practice
- Introduces the different schools of translation theories and their applications in translation practice. Exercises based on various work-related topics will be put into practice as part of this module. This pragmatic approach would improve the overall quality and consistency of translation.
- DTS04 - Translation Skills for Different Genres
- Helps participants to overcome challenges of translating different genres of work. Different translation approaches will be introduced based on the analysis of the stylistic and linguistic features of the different genres.
- DTS05 - English-Chinese and Chinese-English Interpretation Theory and Practice
- Comprises the various interpretation skills to optimize one’s bilingual competence in meeting the challenges of interpretation and work-related interpretation needs.
- DTS06 - Integrated Translation Skills
- Introduces the techniques and pitfalls in translation, and how the utilisation of online tools and resources can help in overcoming problems and improve the effectiveness and quality of translation.
The programme adopts a systematic and practical approach. Besides providing an in-depth and comprehensive analysis of the characteristics of English and Chinese languages, translation principles and techniques, topical practices form an integral part of the programme.
Marketing Communications, Sales, and Marketing Managers/Executives, Personal Assistants, Liaison Officers, Editors, Writers, Translators, Interpreters
Medium of Instruction:
English and Mandarin
Digital literacy is required (e.g. have attended SkillsFuture for Digital Workplace) for participants taking online lessons
Min. Chinese Proficiency of Applicant:
- Tertiary Education (or its equivalent*).
- At least a B4 grade in GCE ‘O’ Level English or equivalent.
- At least a B3 grade in GCE 'O' Level Chinese OR a B4 grade in GCE 'O' Level Higher Chinese or equivalent.
- For other applicants whose first language is not English or Chinese, the certificate of language proficiency must be within 2 years at the time of application.
Learners must be able to comprehend and answer the eLearning questions in Chinese with hanyu pinyin input method (汉语拼音输入法) using one’s personal computer (PC) web-browser
Assessment and Certification
Participants who have fulfilled 75% attendance, passed the examinations of each module and met other module assessment requirements will receive the "Diploma in Translation and Interpretation" by SCCIOB.
4 May 2023 to 15 April 2024 (One year intensive)
7.00pm - 10.00pm (Mondays & Thursdays)
Mode of Delivery:Delivered via synchronous e-learning
29 March 2023
7.00pm - 8.30pm (Wednesday)
Venue:Online via Zoom
Course Materials: e-learning (digital softcopy only)
Enrolment Closing Date: 7 working days before course commencement
|Category||Singapore Citizens & Permanent Residents||Employer-sponsored and Self-sponsored Singapore Citizens aged 40 years and above||SME-sponsored Local Employees (i.e Singapore Citizen & Permanent Residents)|
|Funding Source||SkillsFuture Funding (Baseline)||SkillsFuture Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy||SkillsFuture Enhanced Training Support for SMEs|
|Total Nett Fee||$1,850.00||$1,110.00||$1,110.00|
|Total Fee Payable to SCCIOB||$2,146.00||$1,406.00||$1,406.00|
Prices shown are not inclusive of application fee and/or any other additional fees that may be stipulated.
UTAP - Get up to 50% Nett Course Fee support as an NTUC Member!
|In-Classroom Training||Synchronous e-learning|
|Course Support Period||06 Aug 2021 to 06 Aug 2023||06 Aug 2021 to 06 Aug 2023|
SCCIOB caters to the learning and development needs of a wide variety of corporate staff, including government officials, industry/company leaders & senior managers, working professionals and executives.Sign Up Today